Everyone at RCM-SAR Station 1 – West Vancouver is a volunteer, and we are always looking for new members to join us as volunteer search and rescue crew.
Becoming an active crew member on search and rescue missions requires specific skills, training, and commitment above all. New crew members are selected by our Recruitment Team.
Requirements for joining as search and rescue crew:
- Pleasure Craft Operator’s Certificate (PCOC)
- Restricted Radio Operator’s Certificate (RROC)
- Standard First Aid and CPR-C
- Criminal Record Check (Also required for supporting member)
- Able to commit to regular weekly training (classroom and and on-water)
- Reliable and able to commit to be on call for multiple 12-hour shifts per week
- Live within 15 minutes of the Horseshoe Bay Station.
- Capable of handling the physical demands of SAR operations in all sea and weather conditions
- Able to make a two-year commitment to the station (Also required for supporting member)
- Able to provide 2 references (Also required for supporting member)
- Boating experience and knowledge of the local waters around West Vancouver
Some of our crew members eventually become coxswains and are responsible for the safe operation of the boat on rescue missions. Coxswains receive additional training at the RHIOT School in Bamfield and at the regional RCM-SAR headquarters in Sooke on Vancouver Island.
How do I volunteer?
EMAIL APPLICATIONS TO email@example.com